Scholarship Program 1
Who can apply?
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
- want to acquire a master's degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
What does KAAD expect from you?
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
For more information about your region, visit the following sites:
Stephen Nana Ato Arthur (Ghana)
Stephen Nana Ato Arthur, born in 1961, has been a KAAD-scholar twice and between the two scholarships was not only a period of 12 years but also a very successful political career that has reached a peak in 2012: On 08.12.2012, KAAD got the news that he has won the constituency KEEA as a candidate for Parliament. He will therefore be the first alumnus of KAAD as a member of parliament in an African country.