Scholarship Program 2
Scholarship applications are only administered by the campus ministry of all German universities (Katholische Hochschulgemeinden [KHG] oder Katholische Studierendengemeinden [KSG]).
It is not possible to send a direct application to the KAAD.
Who can apply?
For the scholarship programme 2 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America
- are already studying at a German University,
- want to acquire a master's degree or a PhD at a German university (applicants for master programs may present their documents as early as during the final semester of their bachelor programs).
- are a Catholic Christian (or - particularly for candidates from the Middle East - belong to another Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue.
- possess German language skills (at least general communication level).
What does KAAD expect from you?
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
Marcela Bustamante Torres (Colombia)
Marcela Bustamante studied Law in her hometown of Bogotá. Before going to Germany, she practiced law in Colombia and was involved in a number of research projects. Supported by a KAAD-scholarship she completed the master program "Interdisciplinary Latin American Studies" at the Freie Universität Berlin between 2006 and 2008. Following professional activities in Washington D.C. and Lima (Peru) she returned to Bogota in 2012, where she now works for the "Defensoría del Pueblo de Colombia" - a government institution which operates autonomously in the field of defending and promoting human rights.
She is also one of the organizers of the congress "Paz y Justicia Reconciliación Tradicional" we have planned for the month of February 2016 at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá. During that event our alumni plan to establish a KAAD-network of lawyers and political scientists in Latin America.